Monday, December 8, 2014

SMILE!! It's Beginning to look a lot like Christmas :)

December 1, 2014

Hello family and friends! 


This week was absolutely amazing. It's been another crazy week with lots of changes, but I'm starting to really be grateful for these surprise experiences.... haha So Wednesday was hard because I had to say goodbye to my companion Hermana Rioja :( But just like she always said, Heavenly Father knows why we go through these things we are going through, and it will all work out in the way He wants it to.
Saying goodbye to Hemana Rioja

Then I headed off to Porvenir with Hermana Alfaro from Costa Rica!
New Companion Hermana Alfaro

We are working Soooooo well together and I love this place! I feel like I am home again... haha it's back to dirt roads, cold bucket showers, fire ovens, and chickens, cows, horses. Mmmmm :) I think I'm in heaven.



I have had a permanent smile on my face I think. It is really beautiful too and the people so nice!! It is the ward of Hermana Juarez, the mini missionary that was with me in La Paz a little less than a year ago! It was awesome to see her again :) 

There really aren't very many words today. I am just so grateful to God... I can't explain it. Me and Hermana Alfaro got here on the same day to Honduras and we have been talking a lot and reminiscing all of the wonderful experiences we have had here and all of the things we have learned and witnessed. She gave me a talk to read called "The Challenging and Testifying Missionary" that was written in 1961, and my whole outlook on the mission changed in an instant. Holy cow that talk is incredible. I think that every single missionary and future missionary needs to read it! It changed how I worked this week and we have seen so many miracles. We are talking people like crazy, inviting people to be baptized like crazy, and seeing lots and lots of successes! There are 2 experiences that particularly stick out to me. We asked a random lady for references and she gave us the name of a young man that lived in front of her. We contacted him and invited him to church but weren't able to visit him in the days before. To our surprise he showed up with his little sister! We went to teach him that afternoon and he accepted the invitation to be baptized this month :) He is really excited about it and is excited to make changes in his life. It was a testimony to me that God really does know who He wants in His church, and there is nothing we can really do to destroy that. We just get to decide if we want to help or hinder, and we get the privilege to be apart of it. 


The other was an experience when we were contacting and having no luck.. it had been raining all week... it even got down to the 60's!!! we were FREEZING!!!!! It's weird to say it was freezing when it was in the high 60's, but we were. and everyone was bundled up and shut in their houses without opening up. So we said a prayer that we would be led to someone that needed us in that moment. Then we showed up at a house that was clear back in the distance. We debated whether we should enter the gate without permission, but then decided that they would either get mad at us and tell us to leave, or accept our visit... haha either option wasn't all that bad, so we entered so we could go right up to the door and knock. A woman came out, and it turns out that the sisters had seen her before in the house of a member. She seemed really skeptical but let us in and the spirit was super strong. We've taught her a couple of times, and the spirit is always really strong. The look on her face says, "I don't know why I let you in, and I don't know why I am listening to your message, but I just can't stop listening....." haha that is the spirit for you. I know that prayer is real and if we have faith we will see miracles. 

This passed week a humanitarian group from the states (i think it was from the church) called "smile brigade" came and helped the youth here in honduras who are getting ready to serve missions to get all of their dental work done. It was an honor and a priveledge to get to see the fruits of the service that they gave afterwards and just how grateful the people here are! The sacrament meeting yesterday was just the youth bearing their testimonies of their experience and gratitute. There was a teenage girl who had lost the majority of her teeth and always felt self conscious and never smiled at people, but they put implants in her gums and now she has a full set of teeth, something that would be impossible here because of how expensive it is, but these people have truly changed her life. She can't stop smiling, and she bore her testimony in tears saying how grateful she was to heavenly father to have her smile back. We never know just how much an act of service can truly change the lives of others. It makes me want to do humanitarian work!!! 

I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving!! Today is December!!! What??? I am getting so excited with all the lights, and christmas trees. Last christmas I was a little stressed out.... haha but this year I am just so happy and excited to celebrate the season! He Is The Gift is a great way we can share our excitment with others.

Love you all! 
Until Next Week,
Hermana Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment