Thursday, November 14, 2013

The week of the Enfermos!! (sick)

Monday November, 11th 2013

This past week was crazy when it comes to nursing stuff! 
I´ve noticed a pattern however... Everyone decides to get sick when Hermana Klein leaves the country! haha They were in Guatemala for some training stuff, and so it was a little harder to get a hold of her. I think in a way it was good, because I´m starting to learn to be a little more confident with my judgments when people call me. But... to give you an idea of the things I dealt with this week: injured meniscus, scratched eye nerve (? ya weird), sciatic nerve inflammation, back injuries, parasites, dengue fever, flu bugs, infected ingrown toenail, dehydration, and the works. Plus scheduling MRI´s, doctors appointments, making sure everyone got paid and trying to organize all the results coming in was another thing! I´ll admit it was a little bit overwhelming at times, but the one thing I have learned is that I just need to do what I can, and it all seems to somehow work out :) I know that if I do my part, Heavenly Father will take care of the rest! 

This week one of the challenges for the mission was to contact green houses. It was only after they gave us this challenge that I realized how many green houses there are in our area!! But it was actually kind of fun. I hadn´t yet had the opportunity to just contact houses, so the experience was a little new. We took a jovencita (young woman) from the ward with us and we took turns initiating the contacts. We ended up finding a few people that seem promising and we have followup appointments this week! I´ll have to let you know how it goes :) As time goes on I´m gradually getting more and more comfortable with talking with people even if in the end they don´t want to listen. In the beginning I took it a little personally, but now I am realizing that it has nothing to do with me as a person, and if they really knew what we had to offer they wouldn´t turn us down. One experience was a little comical however. We had met a young man on the bus about a week ago, and went to contact him at his house. His whole family was seated in the back yard. We initiated contact and then the grandpa let us in. By the time we reached the back yard and sat down on some of the chairs, everyone had disappeared.... haha a yard full of people was empty in less than a minute. The young man had acknowledged  us and then walked in the house so we thought he was going to come back but he never did. So we ended up talking to the abuelo a little bit and then decided to leave. As we reached the front of the house.... SURPRISE!!! The whole family was now in the front yard... haha I think we got the hint.

This week we didn´t have time to take our clothes to a member´s house, so I experienced washing everything in the Pila for the first time. I´ll admit I actually really liked it... haha it takes a lot of time but it´s kind of fun! When I first got here, I heard a lot of people use the excuse that they had to wash their clothes instead of coming to church and it seemed a little strange to me. I think I finally understand why... haha another first that I experienced this week was an overpacked microbus. Okay okay so that´s not really new, but this time me and hermana L were the last to be stuffed into the bus and ended up practically laying over the people in the seats and the man operating the bus was hanging out with the door open. I wish I could have somehow taken a picture because it was hilarious and everyone was laughing. The problem here is that buses to one of our areas (San Jose) are so few and far between that you have to take advantage of it when it comes. It´s experiences like this that I will look back on and laugh :)

I´m teaching my first primary age child! His name is S. and he is adorable.  He is nine years old and the grandchild of one of the members in the ward. Everyone thought that he was already baptized because he came so much. He is soooo excited to get baptized. He reads all his assignments and can actually explain back to us what he learned. His enthusiasm is so contagious and it makes me smile! It´s a different experience trying to teach everything so basic, and it´s actually a little bit of a challenge. There´s a quote in preach my gospel that talks about how you have to know the material so well, that you can explain it so clearly that even a child can understand. You´d think it would be easier to explain it simply, but it´s the other way around!

All in all this was a good week!! I hope that all is well and that you are enjoying getting ready for the Holidays. People are already putting up lights and Christmas trees! I hope you all have a great week!!!

Hermana Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment