Monday, December 2, 2013

¡Feliz Día de Acción de Gracias! (Happy Thanksgiving Day)

Thursday - November 28th, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving from Honduras! I hope that you are all enjoying turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, steamed vegetables, yams with marshmellows, homemade dinner rolls, and pie... Lots of pie! Mmmmm.... I should stop before my mouth starts watering. They don't celebrate Thanksgiving here so you better enjoy it for me! haha. My Thanksgiving meal consisted of getting a burger with some of the missionaries in my zone. I also splurged and bought some Doritos as the store (they're more expensive since they are imported). I think me and Hermana L are also going to buy an ice cream for later to celebrate. I'll try not to think of how deliciously you are all eating right about now!! 



This was quite the week! We finished out our zone conferences on Wednesday. We invited our Investigator G to come and bear her testimony for all of the missionaries and she did :) and it was beautiful. She has had some struggles to come to the point where she is at, but she is looking forward to getting baptized and I pray that all works out for her to make this step in her life! Me and Hmna L were pretty exhausted after our week of travel and no p-day. After planning one night I said the prayer to finish it up. After I said Amen.... Silence..... She had fallen asleep during the prayer!!! Haha I just sat there and waited for her to wake up and realize what she had done. It only took 30 seconds or so but it was hilarious. We got a good laugh out of it. On Friday we had to prepare for the weekend of staying in our houses due to the elections. It was just a safety precaution since sometimes there are problems with riots or uprisings. So we stalked up on our food and water supply to get us through. However... I had a blonde moment. Just as we were headed out the door to start working I decided to fill up my water bottle with the brand new 5 gallon jug we had just bought. 
It was on the counter and I was in a hurry... I think you can guess what happened next. It was all in slow motion - the jug slipped off the counter, I frantically struggled to catch it but it was too heavy, and SLAM!!! The bottom busted open and 5 gallons of water gushed out in all directions, flooding our kitchen, front room, back hallway and my bedroom... uhh... whoops? Hermana L hurried and tried to help me and we finally got the top cap on and turned it upside down to stop the water works from flowing. It was one of those moments where all we could do was laugh... laugh... and laugh... luckily the floor was tile so we just mopped it all out the front door. It took a while but our floor was quite spotless afterwards! 





Our weekend couped up in the house wasn't all that bad. I think Hmna L and I were in need of a little bit of a descansa! (rest) We had some really good study sessions, watched some church movies, made some crafts, experimented with some postres (desserts) i made rice krispies!! yum!, cleaned our apartment spotless, washed clothes in the pila, and updated our area book! (which I was sooo happy about).
 


On Sunday we were given one hour to go to church and then come right back. Both J and G met us at our house to walk with us which made us very happy! When we got back to the apartment afterwards, to our dismay, we realized that we had grabbed the wrong keys that belonged to the other hermanas. The words or our AP that had become an inside joke of the mission kept running through my mind, "NO PUEDEN SALIR DE LA CASA, PARA NADA!!!" (Can not get out of the house, for nothingWell... what happens if we're locked out of our casa?? Luckily we were able to call the dueño (owner) and he came to rescue us after a while. It was pretty funny. 


On Tuesday it was back to work! But it was COOOOOLLLLLDD! I never thought I would feel cold her in Honduras. It was funny though because I looked at the thermometer on my clock and it said 70 degrees.... haha But everyone was in their jackets and sweaters and beanies and hardly anyone was out on the streets. I had borrowed my umbrella to the bishop's wife and so I was left to just stick it out in the rain. It wasn't too bad actually. I quite enjoyed it to be honest! I felt like it was a little taste of home :) 

We are currently teaching a group of niños that have stolen my heart away. I love them so much! We are currently helping S get ready for his baptism in a week and then his neighbor friend, M (who also is nine years old) is listening to the lessons as well. When we turn down the street to their houses they all go running inside to get their libros de mormon, hymnbooks and all the pamphlets we have given them and they are ready to learn! They always read their assigments and then can recall what we taught them the previous time. They make me so happy. Yesterday M told us that she told her mom she can't drink coffee anymore. When her mom asked her why she told her because God says that it's bad for our bodies! Right now we are also teaching her mom, in hopes that we can help her whole family to be blessed with what she is learning. M really wants to be baptized and so we are working on helping her get a good support system so that she can continue to stay active once she is a member. I love seeing the light in their eyes. I love the innocence of kids. 

I feel so blessed to be able to be apart of this work. I get to see more and more everyday just how much this work isn't ours it's the Lord's. As imperfect of a missionary that I am, it all seems to work out. I've come to see the importance of studying and trying my best to be obedient to have the spirit. As long as I am trying my best, the Lord can work with my imperfections to fulfil his work. I can't believe that it's already almost December. This transfer has FLOWN by! I don't want to leave this area yet!!! I'm praying that I can stay here for at least one more transfer... but I know that whatever happens is according to the will of the Lord... But one more transfer would be nice? (hint hint....)

I love you all! This Thanksgiving I am so thankful for all of the support and love and prayers back home that keeps me going each day. I am so thankful for my family and friends that have kept me on the right path. I am SOO thankful for this Gospel. I know with all my heart that it is true. There is no way that I can deny it. I have come to learn that in a world where everthing is uncertain, when all around us things are constantly changing, we can rely on the one thing that is constant and will never change, and that is the knowledge that God is our Heavenly Father and that His Son, Jesus Christ, is our Savior. They live, They love us, and Their purpose is to bring us back to them in the end. How blessed we are to be apart of this work! To get back to live with our families for forever, and to bring as many people with us as we can. 



Love,
Hermana Bennett


No comments:

Post a Comment