Monday, March 10, 2014

Goodbyes and Hellos!

Feb 10, 2014






Hello friends and family! Another week here in Honduras, full of lots of miracles, lots of changes, and lots of lessons (though every week could be described in the same way). Goodbyes to two companions, goodbye to the cool weather, goodbye to a couple of skirts that don`t fit anymore, and hello to the hot fuerte sol (strong sun), new goals of healthy eating and water drinking, and to my new companion Hermana Rioja!!! 

Hermana's Juarez, Aparicio and Bennett
On tuesday I said goodbye to Hermana Aparicio at the airport as she headed back home to recover. It was definitely a bittersweet moment. I would say that both of us have left our companionship as better versions of ourselves, and I`m grateful for all the lessons I learned with her!

Hermana Roija


Hermana Juarez was with me until Friday morning and then President came to the house to relieve her and drop off my new companion :) Hermana Rioja and I came to Honduras on the very same day and sat next to each other in the training meeting. She`s from Peru, too! I´m super excited to work with her. She is so happy, upbeat and has a very positive outlook on life. The other day we walked past a group of ladies making tortillas in a hut and she hopped right in and started making the tortillas with them. She then started talking about how our lives are shaped and molded like these tortillas. It starts out in disorder, and then gets shaped into something round and smooth and perfect if we let God be the one that does the shaping. I loved it :) She has a way of making everyone feel like a good friend, and can connect really well with just about everyone. I know that I am going to learn a lot from her and that we are going to work really well together. She´s really good at helping me with my Spanish and correcting me when I say things wrong as well which I definitely appreaciate! I feel like my spanish has kind of plateaued and I need a jumpstart to speaking better! I honestly am so happy right now. I feel like I`ve taken a giant breath of fresh air and my soul has been filled with peace. I feel like I`m looking at things with a more positive outlook and life here is good :) Hard... I`m still not perfect, I still have a lot to learn and a lot to change and get better but the exciting thing is that when we`re focused on Jesus Christ and what He did for us, and then we focus on helping other people do the same, things just seem to work out.


Miracles of the week. Lots of them :) Mainly we have been finding lots of new people that are positive and interested in learning more. Now the trick is planning out effectively and effeciently so that we can visit them all! We have a taxi driver friend that has been helping us out and is always coming to our rescue when we are in a bind for a ride since my first transfer here. His wife is a member that has recently started coming back to church, but He never was too interested in our message. He would always turn up his gospel preacher talks when we got in the car :) The other day he passed by us and stopped us to ask if we could come to his house and teach him "la palabra." (the word) He had found a pamphlet at the market and wanted to learn more. We invited him to read and pray about the book of mormon. When we came back to see how his experience went, he broke down into tears. Told us that he felt like a "crystal clear river" was flowing through his soul and that a new light was coming into his life. He said he knew it was true and is now preparing to be baptized! :) 


I love being here, I love being a missionary, and I´m so excited to see what more Heavenly Father has in store for me while I am here. This church is true, this work is true, and it changes lives!

Until Next Week,
Hermana Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment