Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Happy Mother´s Day!

Hola! 

I don´t have much time to write today. The power has been out here in Mezapa and it just barely came back! Can I just say that a power outage in this weather is NO BUENO! Last night the power went out right as I was falling asleep which meant no fan, and I couldn´t really fall asleep until it came back on a few hours later. It´s a heat that I don´t think I could possibly begin to explain with words, but hey. That´s just part of the whole experience! We´ve been learning to adjust to living without power. The other night when the power went out me and hermana olivas were outside sitting on our porch just listening to the wind and the peaceful silence when we both got the mischevious idea to scare the other sisters. We snuck over to their apartment and just stood in their window. They were sitting in their room writing in their journals with flashlights and hermana orgill was playing with the curtain. When she lifted it up Hermana Saylin saw both of us and just said, "woah what the heck??"  then H Orgill dropped the curtain in fright and we hurried and hid so when they lifted up the curtain again there was nobody there and they started screaming! Then we went back and opened their window and put their umbrella inside their room so that they couldn´t close it without running into the umbrella. We thought for sure they would suspect that it was us but we overheard them saying that if it was us we would have laughed by now. So we continued with our broma (joke) for a good 40 minutes until we decided it was time to reveal ourselves. They were so shocked when they found out it was us and we had a good laugh about it. Sometimes it´s good to have moments that break up the normal routine of missionary life... haha 


It was so good to be able to talk to you all last night! It was a struggle... haha we had a member drive us about a half hour to our ward mission leaders house and then we had to download skype and then the speakers weren´t working and then the internet kept going in and out, but en fin it was nice to have at least a good 15 mintues of uninterrupted internet to be able to see your faces and visit for a while! It´s a blessing that the power didn´t go out until after we had gotten back to our houses! It was good to see Aaron and how big and chubby he is getting! I can´t wait to meet him when I get back :) Crazy to see how tall Matt is, too. It felt like just yesterday I was talking to you all on Christmas, it´s amazing how fast time has flown by! The family that I was with kept laughing because of how goofy you all are.... I sure love you guys :) 


This week was good. We continue to find new people to teach, and it´s amazing just how much the Lord really is in charge of his work. In the end we don´t really do much in the grand scheme of things, just do what we can and He takes care of the rest. It´s been a great transfer with Hermana Olivas. We are very similar! Quiet, yet not shy. Very pensive. Our minds are always running and running. But it´s been good to have her to lean on, and she has helped me to learn to really enjoy my time here and not stress so much over what we can´t control. For example, she is so aware of everything around her. She is always pointing out beautiful flowers, or a strange animals, or things that I usually don´t notice because I´m not looking. When something doesn´t quite go the way we plan, she´s always good about moving forward and staying positive. We have a lot of good laughs. She is always scaring the animals by clapping or stomping her feet and she laughs at their reactions. The other day we were walking past a heard of horses and all of a sudden that started charging straight at us! We were backed up to a fence and had no where to go and so we just grabbed  on to each other and screamed and closed our eyes... haha in the end they ended up NOT trampling us though I have no idea how we escaped. I just opened my eyes and they were already past us. I told her she better watch out because all the animals have a grudge against her for scaring them! 


Today we went to the beach in Tela and it was oh so beautiful! We decided that we just needed a day to escape Mezapa and just sit in the sand and listen to the waves. It turned out to be a success and it felt so good to have the ocean breeze in our faces and just be calm. The bus ride back we found lychees!! 




I was so excited since we haven´t had them since November. We shared them with the man that was sitting next to us and had a good conversation and ended up giving him a book of mormon and inviting him to church. Then as we were leaving I shook his hand and he pulled me in and tried to kiss my cheek and I threw up my hands and said, "!no puedo!" (I cannot) haha it took me off guard so I hope my reaction didn´t make him too embarrassed... haha but we all had a good laugh afterwards. (This email is full of "good laugh" moments....)


Anyways I sure do love you all and just want you to know how grateful I am for the opportunity that I have to be here on a mission. It is changing me and shaping me in ways that I never expected, and though sometimes it´s hard I wouldn´t change it for a thing! I know that I am here for a reason, and I know that I am learning lessons that are preparing me for the rest of my life. I´m learning just what it means to follow a prompting of the Spirit, what it feels like to have your mouth filled with words that aren´t your own, and am learning the essence of the word "patience!" I hope you all have a great week!


Hermana Bennett


No comments:

Post a Comment