Saturday, September 20, 2014

¡Feliz Día de Independencía!

Monday September 15, 2014

Hola famila!!! I hope that everything is going well with you. This has been a great week :) We´ve had lots of good experiences and miracles. A little nuts, but those always end up being the best weeks.

On Monday, EVERYTHING fell through... (I think this is starting to become a common phrase in my emails... haha) We were walking around passing by investigators and no one was home. It was a little frustrating but I had a prayer in my heart that something would work out! We went to try and find a menos activo (less active) and on the way we saw a man running with his dog, so we stopped to talk with him. Turns out he was a Catholic Minister.... haha but he was super friendly. We told him that as missionaries we are always searching for those who need our message and asked him if he knew anyone we could visit. At first he said no, but then as we were about to walk away he said, "wait! there is a family that lives on the corner that I am always trying to invite to church and nothing.... but maybe the Lord will help you guys" :) So, we went! It was late and so we were a little apprehensive to contact, and there was shouting coming from inside the house, but.... we took a deep breath and contacted them. A little girl came out and ran up to us all excited and said, "do you guys read the bible?!" And then she let us in and her mom was super excited to talk to us and sat us down and we shared our message. They are GOLDEN! Super receptive. We taught them about the restoration and gave them a Book of Mormon. The next time we came to visit the daughter told us that the mom wouldn't let them sleep because she was reading the pamphlets and the BoM outloud to everyone... haha They weren't able to come to church on Sunday because it's a law here that the kids have to march in the parades and her daughter had to march Sunday morning. But seriously they are so prepared! Thank you Catholic Minister for your reference! That's why in the back of Preach my Gospel it says to ask for references from EVERYONE in big bold letters :) 

We did a lot of traveling! Lots of buses! We had divisions in Olanchito with two sets of sisters and it went SUPER well. Olanchito is amazing! On Wednesday with Hermana S we just did contacting all day to find new people and at every single house they let us in. All we had to say was, "hi we're missionaries and we have a message about Jesus, can we come in?" and immediately "SURE, come on in! Have a seat, here's some juice..." haha a different world from La Ceiba! On Thursday I went with Hermana V and we had a great day, too. Her trainer was Sister B as well so that makes us sisters :) We taught with a lot of unity and had some really powerful lessons with her investigators. She is a teacher in her country and so she has a really good way of teaching for understanding. She also showed me a technique to finally learn how to roll my rr´s! I just have to put a pen under my tongue and speak outloud... super hard haha but little by little I'm starting to be able to do it.

Met a man on the bus back to Ceiba who reminded me a lot of Grandpa Cook, just the way that he looked and his personality. He talked to me the WHOLE time.... haha turns out that he used to live right across the street from the LDS church and had met with the missionaries a few years back and has a Book of Mormon. By the end of the conversation he told me that I had awoken an interest and that he was going to read the Book of Mormon and go to church on Sunday... haha I didn't even have to invite him! Even though I probably won't ever know what will happen with this man, I sure to pray that he will come to know the truth. It's so sad to me just how hard it is for people to accept or even listen to our message. We went back with the 7th day adventist and he told us that unless we could PROVE to him that the sabbath was on Sunday he couldn't accept our message. We did the best we could with the scriptures and all the evidences that we have, but in the end told him that the only way he would be able to know is by praying and asking. We gave him a Book of Mormon and he said he would read it but he said that he couldn't accept anything other than the Bible as the word of God. It made me so sad! Because you can just feel how good of a man he is and how much he loves God, but he just wasn't willing to open his heart up to the spirit. I was reading in an old Liahona yesterday and found this quote by Joseph Smith (translated from Spanish to English so it might not be exact) "There are too many learned men and women among us that are too wise for them to be taught. Therefore, they must die in there ignorance, and in the resurrection,will  discover their mistake" Doesn't that just rip your heart out?? The only way people are going to be able to accept our message is if their heart is open to let the Spirit teach them. It reminds me of the scripture in 2 peter 3:16 where it talks about how the people don't understand the scriptures and they wrestle with them unto their own destruction. It's just a huge testimony to me of the truthfulness of this gospel, and just how necessary it is to have the GIFT of the Spirit and modern day prophets to guide us and help us to know the true meaning of the scriptures and the will of God in our day. I can't even express my gratitude to be a part of the only true and living church on the earth today! We are so blessed!

Sorry once again for the novel... haha I love you all and I hope you have a great week! This week I'm going back to Roatán for divisions :) Pretty excited! 

Until Next Week,
Hermana Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment