Saturday, January 3, 2015

¡Prospero Año Nuevo! 2015

December 29, 2014
Hello to my wonderful family and friends! 

This has been quite the week full of lots of experiences. Last night my companion and I commented that it felt like one of the longest weeks ever.... haha but it was a good one. It was Christmas! It was awesome to get to call and talk and see your faces again! You all look wonderful and happy :) 




Christmas in Honduras was great this year, because it was spent with lots of people that I love. Christmas Eve is the main holiday here and most of the festivities are done on this day. Working was a little hard because most people were distracted and busy and didn't really want to interrupt their day with listening to a message, but that's okay! That night we went to a members house that doesn't have any extended family near by. We spent the evening with them, Elder and Hermana Webb, the elders in our branch, and then a member couple that was visiting also dropped by. The wife lives in the states and the husband here in Honduras. They have been married a little over a year, and this is only the second time they have seen each other since their wedding! Crazy!! I think that would be way hard!! But it was a SUPER special night. It was a group that consisted of people from the states, from Honduras, from Guatemala, from Puerto Rico, and from Nicaragua - all separated from our extended families. We had a little testimony meeting where we shared our thoughts on Christmas and one mentioned that this was a little taste of what Zion would be like. Though we are all from different parts of the world, this gospel unites us and we are all part of one big great family :) No matter where we go in the world, we will always have a home! It was kind of funny - I was translating all of the Spanish into English for the Webb's and Hermana A was translating all the English into Spanish for the rest. So when it was my turn to share my thought I was just going to speak in English and have Hermana A translate. Well... I had just started and I got a little emotional (the spirit was SUPER strong) and all of a sudden I switched into Spanish without realizing it! We all got a good laugh about it. I decided it was too hard to try and do it in English so I just did it in Spanish! It's a weird moment when my own native language becomes the difficult one! haha When all the returned missionaries would struggle I didn't think that really happened.... But i guess it does!

Christmas Eve night was like a warzone! All month there have been firecrackers going off here and there, but this night is was crazy. Not just firecrackers but homemade bombs made out of newspaper and who knows what. We woke up at 11:30 and couldn't sleep. It was nuts. Then at midnight it was chaos!!!! I can't imagine what it will be like on New Year´s Eve?!! It was good though because at 2 in the morning it started pouring a torrential downpour which sent everyone in their houses. But that meant we woke up to a surprise Christmas morning with the floor covered in water! We still have no idea how it got in because our beds weren't wet, just the floor. And we are on the second floor? It was quite the Christmas present... haha 

We visited one of our investigators that is preparing for baptism. He lives deep in the jungle with a whole bunch of old cement houses and paths that look like ruins. It's pretty sweet. When we got there he took off his hat to show us his new hair cut and he had a snake in it!!! It took us way off guard! He said that he had found it that morning and that it was renting his hat as a home for a while... haha. He is super awesome. He took us over to his neighbors house and was bearing his testimony about how we need to be baptized. We're hoping he can get baptized soon! Lots of prayers his way would be great!

Love you all. Wishing you an amazing New years. 2014 has been an incredible year for me. I don't think there are words to describe all the things I have learned and the experiences I have had. I am forever changed :) Looking forward to 2015 and getting to apply everything I've learned here!

Until Next Week,
Hermana Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment